Monday, June 2, 2008

And then there was one

On Thursday May 22, the pups' vitals crashed and I rushed them in. After several hours the larger one went into seizures. We were able to stabilize him for a few hours but he eventually died. The next day we did a necropsy on him. He had severe pneumonia and only had half of his brain (which was the consistency of not quite ready Jello). Never seen anything like it. We've narrowed what we think they have down to Canine Distemper or Canine Herpes.

The smaller pup didn't look much better. I wouldn't move and the IV he was on didn't seem to be helping. After 3 days in ICU, he started to seem alive again and I was able to take him home (to my house, not the owner's). For the next week I tube fed him his formula every two hours around the clock (that's 12x/day). I also was given permission to take the week old pup to class every day. Having a puppy in class makes me the popular kid. He's really cute.

There was a Parvo outbreak on campus too. Half a dozen students' puppies had to be euthanized, so I've been really protective about who touches the pup. His owner calls me about 8x a day to ask how he is. He's really a fat little pup, and the owner always seems happy when I give him updates or sees him.
Now he's 18 days old (born May 15) and he's doing much better. His eyes are open, he's off antibiotics, he's drinking ravenously from the bottle about 5x a day, and he's starting to walk. Salty has been pretending he's her puppy.

In other news, Patches has been renamed SQUEAK! This was her decision, as that's what she answers to... either that or the fridge door opening. She is so fat I think she's going to explode any day now. I've been keeping Mango the Mouser out at night because I think he'll kill her babies (if she ever has them). I can feel them in her, their noses and their little feet feel well formed. I think there are four, but definitely three.
She's been very demanding these past few days, but not noisy like she typically is. She has the run of the house minus my bedroom, where even the dogs are excluded. I set up a big pen for her in anticipation to her pups/piglets coming. Should be an experience!

Even better is that they already have homes. I'd like to keep one female baby so Patches has a buddy and quits following the dog. Jossie wants a male baby so her WeeBee has a friend, and another friend at school wants one. You can see her in the video running around, and in the pict she's checking out the basket I keep the puppy in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Soon there will be pigs for the fire!