Monday, October 20, 2008

Mid Semester Break 5

With the hurricane, this week has been surreal. More days off than we've had in a long time.

I've made a point of making this a lazy weekend. On Friday took Jossie to the airport (she went to Oklahoma to see her bf). That evening my friends and I went to see Eagle Eye at the NEW movie theatre! There we happened across one of our professors (a scary thought) and his wife. The movie was entertaining, but not something I'd watch again.

Saturday was spent tanning in the comforts of my fabulous pool, which is much too cold from the 80F cold fronts and rain we've had all week. I was just glad to see the sun again. I also napped a bit (ahem, most of the day). At sunset I reemerged to attend a social gathering aimed at introducing a friend's fiance to everyone here. She's in 6th semester, and this is his first trip down to St Kitts. They're getting married in December.

It was quarter til Sunday when I went home. When I awoke Sunday morning I had lots of energy. The pesky little local kid from down the street came over to play with the dogs. We went up the road to a dirt pile so I could fill up my planting pots. I think each of the nine pots weighed 20 lbs when full, but I managed to get them safely positioned in my yard without incident. I begun placing various seeds strategically in circles with a maker made from a Qtip in the center. (I thought it important to mark the parsley and cilantro from the hemlock and henbane, just in case.)

My energy flagged at noon and I retreated to my room. I started searching for streaming movies online and watched The Painted Veil (my new favorite), then started looking for movies with Edward Norton in them. I had no idea he was in so many popular movies. He's a very good, diverse actor. So then I watched The Incredible Hulk (part one and two), then The Illusionist (part one and two), part of Babylon AD until it got boring, Quarantine until it got scary, and now I'm watching The Kingdom of Heaven. I love the internet.

Last night I also was motivated enough to go into lab and work on a new extraction protocol with thick oily sea turtle blood. Then right when I had everything set up, you guessed it, the power went out. For a long time. Sigh. I was stuck there for hours.

Today I am to pick up Jossie at 1:30pm. To me, it was a very short weekend for a $1000US. I sure hope he appreciates her (but he probably doesn't). I also intend on going over to check on a friend who hasn't been answering her phone. We've gotten a bit worried about her because her Rottie is dying of osteosarcoma (same thing Padeaux died from). Sad sad. I wish I didn't, but I know exactly how she feels. On the optimistic side, she usually forgets to turn her phone on, so she might not be answering because of that or a migraine. Who knows.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Quarrantine was a Blair Witch knockoff, geesh 85 minutes wasted.

Painted pony express.