Saturday, October 4, 2008

Powerless

Well, I have no electricity. There was a huge fire at the island's power station (which is basically a giant generator because it runs on diesel). They estimate it will take WEEKS to get the parts needed to fix it (and by then, the repair man will probably be on vacation).

"Please note that the main power generators at the St. Kitts Electricity Company has been damaged and as a result load sharing will take place island wide i.e. power will be available for limited periods of time during the day or night. We have contacted the Electricity Department but they were unable to provide any additional information; as soon as we receive a schedule of the load shedding we will share it with you. The length of time required to have the situation rectified is uncertain, but we will keep you updated as we get additional information

It would be advisable to unplug any items that can remain off when power returns as there can be surges that may damage sensitive equipment.

We are currently using our stand-by generator to provide power to the campus and the Campus Living Residences."


Then we got an email about a "loading bearing schedule." West Farm (where I live) isn't on the list. Fun times.

Rudder is at school helping me study for Small Animal Medicine. Guess he and Salty are going to get all the meat in my freezer when it melts... I've already brought food up to campus for safe keeping.

Also camping out, here at school, with my rice cooker, coffee maker, lounge chair, quilt, and other kitchen amenities. I've become popular because I have cooked food. BUT at least we have running water at home! That is, until the pumps go out. Give it time.

PS: The power went out on Oct 1st (4 days ago). I wonder if school will run out of fuel for their generator. Gas was $15.44EC/gal ($5.75US/gal) on my last fill up. I hear it's higher now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good times.

E