Sunday, March 22, 2009

My Surgery Dog

Since Ross ran out of dogs for our spays, I went out into the community and picked up a few dogs that needed to be fixed. One is an old Pitbull (Dog A) staying with my surgery partner, Vanessa. She (the dog) will be another group's dog. Our dog (Dog B), a tri colored border collie looking Kittitian Coconut Retriever, is staying with me.

Jossie, Vanessa, and I went to pick them up on Monday after our Small Animal Medicine exam. The two dogs belonged to the neighbors of the guy I raised the Pitbull pup for (last summer). That little pup, I should add, is HUGE! Not even a year old, he's such a big goofball! The owner told me that the pup remembers me (as he was slobbering and jumping all over me), to which I told him naw, that it wasn't possible, and the owner said oh yes, he doesn't act that way or get that excited with anyone else. Made me feel so WOVED!!!

I named the two dogs 'Dog A' and 'Dog B' because that's just what I do. Vaness and Jossie wouldn't tolerate unnamed dogs, so, on the drive home, they named them 'Alberta' which became 'Alithenia' (I think), and 'Bernice' which became 'Bernadine.' Yeah, I donno, I'm just calling them both 'Dog' which they seem to respond to.

Anyway, so the first day or so with the new dog (Dog B) was a little shaky. She was very nervous about being in a new place, and very hard to catch, but eventually she warmed up to me. Now, she's like the rest of the monsters that trape around my house, and she's glued to my side. She comes when she's called, sits when asked, and watches me pee every single time I go to the bathroom (as if I might escape out the window and leave her). But, she's a sweetheart.

Her/Our spay is scheduled for April 3rd. Hopefully it will go much better than our partner's spay on Friday, which hemorrhaged pretty severely. (We were the anesthetists, they were the surgeons. In April, we'll be the surgeons, and they will be the anesthetists.) The dog, an old Rottweiler, was in surgery for 4 1/2 hours because her blood would not clot properly. Uber stressful and has kept all four of us on call and busy ALL weekend, but fortunately, all is well and she pulled thru. Our dog is young and has a high platelet count, so we don't anticipate having those complications with Bernadine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope the guy in Admin who decides where everyone goes for clinics reads your blog poll!!

Love,
Mom