Wednesday, March 5, 2008

In Search of MEAT

Friend of mine got a craving for steak the other day so we drove to every store in town to buy some beef. Turned out there was a beef shortage.

The last supermarket we went to was kinda shady but they tend to have more ethnic foods, more frozen foods (or at least they're frozen now), as well as other useful goods (storage bins, pots, pans, pitchers, baskets, trash cans, etc). We had to look through the meat section rather thoroughly to find some heavily frozen sirloin steaks. She settled with a pair of very freezer burned vacuum-packed sirloins ($12EC each). I opted for pork ribs ($15EC for a rack).

I grabbed some fresh charcoal and we went to my apartment to grill. She call’s it BBQ-ing, but she’s from New York. They all call anything on the grill BBQ. What I would do for some good ol’ Texas BBQ.

I’m getting quite hooked on ribs and pork chops. Have made a lot of Jewish friends here. They don’t eat pork… with out a lot of peer pressure, that is. It’s like Baptists and booze.

We traded: one of my ribs for a cube of her steak (she's not Jewish by the way). The sirloin was surprisingly tender. As she put it: the meat had nothing to accentuate but itself. it was delicious! *drool*. Funny how I never grilled back home; I find myself grilling here every week. Guess I have more time in a way now.

No comments: