Saturday, April 26, 2008

Patches

It's simple really. I was going to the Bat Caves with Salty, Rudder, and a classmate. We got lost, it's a small island but an even smaller sign. We pulled the car into a really nice road that had a house with a fabulous yard. I asked if it the guy was a gardener, and he replied, no he sold fish!

Well, one of my professors told me about him, so I told him I'd come back to look. Meanwhile, the four of us turned around and headed back to the Bat Caves. We saw 6 bats. It was quite anticlimactic.

We returned to the fish farm to learn that the plants were, of course, for sale as well. As I made my rounds through the plants and cement fish ponds, I saw a hutch full of little fuzzies! Guinea pigs!

I was in debate, do I dare get one, or do I not? I picked out some onions, mint, peppers, and some stunning red spotted yellow cannas. Then I ran back and convinced myself to get a guinea pig! I got the prettiest one. She looks like a calico cat!

The guinea pigs he had were huge (twice the size of Patches) and well cared for. I wonder if he raised them for meat. Healthy as Patches was, she still had guinea pig lice. I collected some for my collection and examined them under my microscope. Ran a fecal on her to check for worms too. Didn't find any little wrigglies. Added a little Revolution to her shoulders (don't do this at home) and was good to go.

Showed Patches to Jossie (who now lives above me) and Jossie wanted one too! So we went back and got a second one! Her's looks like mine in the face, but is almost solid black with a white butt. She named him Wee-Bee (short, and more politically correct for White Butt). Aren't we creative?

Oh and almost forgot to mention, Patches is pregnant! Guinea pig gestation is something like 9 weeks, so by her size, I'm hoping for piglets in late May!

No comments: