Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I Voted!

What a hassle, but I got it done. Actually I voted back on October 17th, gave the ballot to Jossie (sealed of course) to mail when she landed in Miami or Oklahoma-- 50% of island mail usually gets lost.

Truth be told, I voted for Obama. I don't know if that was wise or not. I really liked McCain, BUT if something were to happen to him, I don't think we can afford to have that nut of a running mate in the White House. Palin wants Christian Creationism taught in the classroom (mix of church and state), to drill in Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) (ruining the environment, and attempting to take the Polar Bear and Beluga Whale off the endangered species list), and wants to overturn Roe vs Wade (I'm pro putting a hold on the world's ever expanding human population). Not to mention that she put a $150 bounty on Gray Alaskan Timber wolves. As if Canine Distemper and Parvo weren't enough for the poor things to deal with. She's a nut!

I was also unimpressed by all of McCain's eye rolls in the debates (all of which I watched). I loved one response McCain gave in response to Obama's comment about war with Pakistan, "You just don't say that!" With the war in Iraq, I sided with McCain, but he did want to cut spending for research (his example was $3mil spent for genetic testing of Yellowstone bears was a waste of money, and that is utterly wrong unless we want them to go extinct) . I can't really grasp either, McCain's nor Obama's, health care plans. But I guess the main reason I didn't vote McCain was because of Palin. I wish he'd picked a serious running mate, because I think he would have been a good president, especially with his military background.

I'm equally as unimpressed with Joe Biden however. Immoral is written all over him, like any standard politician. In law school he was caught plagiarizing 5 of 15 pages of a law review article. He received an F in the course, but was still able to pass the Delaware Bar. Later Biden plagiarized a speech by British Labour Party leader, Neil Kinnock. To me, that is shameful. I was disappointed by the VP debate too. I expected him to pummel Palin, but she had gone to debate boot camp! Of the 4 candidates, I think she's by far the best speaker and most honest person, but I just disagree with her views. Even though the press says otherwise, I think she won the VP debate.

So another 4 years with a new guy. I guess they unofficially announce it at 11pm-ish? Texas isn't a swing state, so my vote doesn't count (if it even counted anyway with how screwed up Brazos County voting is). I was almost not able to vote because they refused to mail me a ballot, saying I'd filled out the wrong paperwork (bs), even though they had my Ross Univ address as my mailing address. I spent hours on the phone sorting everything out, but eventually, they checked a file in a forgotten building and found the form that said mail me the damn ballot, I'm out of the country. It helped that I highlighted and circled it before I mailed it.

One thing is for sure, it was nice to look ever Tom, Dick, and Harry up on the internet before I sent it in. There were a few really sharp people, like a girl from Princeton who graduated Cum Laude, and some not so sharp, like the crooked Brazos County Sheriff. There was even someone from my high school. Anyway, what's done is done, and now it's time to watch and see who wins.

1 comment:

Karla Turbyfill said...

I was channel surfing and happened across HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher. Hilarious. And he had a total nut on there too. Very funny.

Anyway, one of Maher's panelists was CNN political strategist Amy Holmes. She's really bright. McCain should have picked her for VP instead. Too late now.