Saturday, May 23, 2009

Officially Coming Home!!!

My flight is booked! I have a timeline!

I return on Wednesday, August 19th:
Flight 2280 SKB (2:50 PM) to MIA (5:55 PM)
Flight 972 MIA (8:40 PM) to DFW (10:40 PM)

Now all I have to do if figure out how to get both dogs back. I'm having the same problem with Rudder as I did before he got here: his weight. He weighs 85 lbs now, without his crate, which weighs an additional 25 lbs. I'd rather if I didn't have to starve my poor dog for the flight. I investigated AmeriJet, but found out that their 'direct flight' actually overnights in San Juan and dogs have been lost for over 27 hours. Worse is that they've left dogs on the tarmac for over two hours while loading the plane. With the heat here at any time of the year, that is absolutely unacceptable for mid-day flight that costs ~$600US/dog. Delta accepts dogs up to 150lbs, but charges $300US, which isn't a bad option. Unfortunately their flights out of St Kitts are difficult to book because they require phone calls, making it very difficult to compare flight date, times, and prices. I'm going to try AA Cargo, and if that fails, then Rudder and Salty will be my checked luggage.

Mango, on the other hand, can ride in the plane. He's set with his little mesh carry-on. The girl that's moving into my apt said that she's interested in keeping him though. Another girl, who I gave some plants to, said she'd love to have him. She'll pick him up on Mid-Semester Break to try him out, and if they get along, I suppose she can have him. It would be safer than having him eaten by a coyote in Oklahoma when he demands to go exploring. Of course, if he is miserable with her, he will be coming to the states with me. Leaving Mango on the island means that never again will I step on a dead mouse on my doorstep in the morning or find a lizard on my soap in the shower. He's such a good orange cat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those dogs should fly in the cabin first class.