Monday, July 2, 2007

Mid Semester Break

Today is our 'mid semester break,' that's right, one day. I've spent the weekend and today at the beach! I decided that was the main perk of not going to a state school, that I'd I'll be a vet a full year before they are!

Friday night I tried the Ginger Beer from the Chicken Lady. (It's not really beer, ale is beer, beer is juice. I don't get it either.) Ginger beer is... not so great. Like peppermint drink... with more sugar to rot your teeth with. I think I'll stick with my passion fruit juice.

Saturday I totally slept in (‘til like 11am!) but so did the girl down stairs that goes swimming. So we went to Gong Beach around 1pm. Gong Beach is the best beach in the world, by far! It's a hidden crescent shaped beach, with white sand, on the peninsula across from the salt pond. We had to park in a ditch on an off shoot of the road that goes to the tip of the peninsula. Then we had to be on the look out for a rogue make monkey that has been attacking people lately! We didn't see him, probably because it was so hot. We hiked and hiked along this trail, then the bushes opened and there was the magical Gong Beach!

It's really spectacular. I need to take a picture, but that would not really show it's beauty. I think this is the only beach on island with sand in the water. It's the soft sand that you can wade out in and not worry about plants or fish or sea urchins. Perfect waves, not too salty, Atlantic side, perfect temperature.

Sunday was back to our regular beach, with the rocks and the rough surf making the water like the gulf. Saw another turtle though! Chased him for about 5 feet, then I got scared a shark would come and get me! One of my friends that never comes, came and lost the garnet ring her boyfriend gave her.

Today, we went to the bank first. My friend had to deposit her student loan check and I had to inquire about a discrepancy I found (several actually) relating to my meager account (donations welcome). Then we went to Gong Beach! Did I mention it was prefect?! I'm think of getting a car just so I can go to that beach. It also happens to be the only beach on island that allows dogs.

We came back to town and ran errands. First was the post office where I got a package! From Arnie! With Mr. Goodbars in it! (And prescription meds.) Then we went to the bank, again, to talk to someone who might know something that wasn't in at 8am. She said she's 'take care of it' so I'm calling in a few days to make sure they didn't forget. We went to the downtown grocery store, which was... interesting. Very dirty and over priced, BUT there were guys outside selling fruit. I walked up to this one guy and said 'ok, make me a deal, you know i want some star fruit.' He said 'deal huh, how bout 2 bags for $5EC?' I said, hell yea! There are 5 or 6 big star fruit in a bag. I am so hooked; I think I might never leave.

(In Dr. Carey's words) But wait, there's more! We are walking back to the car and my friend says we have to see if this lady is here, she sells sandwiches, salt fish or chicken, in a johnny cake. Mouth watering. We go, and she needs 5 min to set up. Wow, so this huge chicken sandwich, with real chicken, rotisserie style with lettuce stuffed in a huge johnny cake... for $5EC. Keep in mind $1US = $2.6882EC or $1EC = $0.37US. So our sandwich was $1.85UD, which is really freakin' cheap.

When Rudder gets shipped down I really think I might never leave. I was thinking of becoming a professor and coming back. Wonder what Granada is like? I really think St. Kitts is spectacular and think I should buy a house... eventually.

No comments: