Sunday, July 15, 2007

Pica pica pica!

So I think that I have a sodium deficiency since I've had cravings for weird things (pica). I drank all the pickle juice out of 2 pickle jars, ate all the pickles out of one jar, ate a bag of chips (me), ate a bag of the A&M beef jerky Arnie sent me, AND I got a craving for a big, juicy, greasy hamburger with lots of pickles, mustard, mayo and ketchup, and even red onions. Imagine the Homer Simpson drool. And can you imagine how good anything dipped in ranch dressing could be at this point? Oh Layne's chicken fingers in ranch... drool. Or Mc Donald's buffalo wing dipping sauce. I think I'd even stoop to eat a Mc Donald's hamburger. My anatomy prof walked up to me on Friday because I was so spaced out thinking of food and asked how my dog, Onion, was doing (now that she lacks legs completely). All I could say was "HAMBURGER" and he almost hit the floor laughing. I drank some water to delay the desire.

My ride to the store couldn't go swimming yesterday morning, so I took 7 showers and panted in the sweltering heat of my apt all day. Late last night we went to the grocery store 'Best Buy' which should be called 'Most Expensive Buy.' I got sugar for the ponies, real grape juice ($20EC= $7.5US), rice, and 3 of the world's greatest tangerines. Total cost: ~$40EC, and their Scotia card machine was down. Good thing I'd gone to the ATM! For dinner, since I couldn't cook, I went down and found a SECOND chicken lady further down the street. Yum yum, but not as good as Valerie’s chicken.

Today, someone else took me to the other grocery store, 'IGA' which was out of the 2 major things I wanted: milk and misc frying chicken parts- thighs box. Fortunately, they had the 3rd item I'd wanted: a fly swatter. I finally settled on the breast box and boxed (ewwww) milk. I got really cute miniature bananas. Those bananas were $2.5EC and are the same mini bananas I've seen for $10US/lb at HEB! They are 2 bites and gone, but really cute. I also got a long thing of bread, more pickles, more noodles, and something else that ended up making my bill $70EC. Their Scotia card machine was down of course as well and I was now out of cash. This is never a good feeling, so I ran over three lines where my friend who drove me was checking out and bummed $60 from him (I found a $10 bill in my wallet). Nerve racking! So I'm at home here savoring my miniature bananas and rice and the super expensive grape juice I bought.

To make things more exciting in my life, which if you remember I aim to avoid excitement at all costs, I also think I have acquired Giardia. No worries, Parasitology is next semester so I'll find out then! I suppose that my pica could be from that, but as long as I don't have any major problems/symptoms, I'm just not going to deal with it. Gotta love the avoidance mechanism, but I'm down to 126lbs!!! Did I mention my hair turned blonde too! Flat abs, tan bod, I'm hot stuff.

No comments: