Saturday, July 5, 2008

Return of the Pup

I gave up the pup today. He was fat, clean, parasite free, vaccinated, and even knew a few commands (sit, come, and NO!!!). The 7-week-old stinker sat in some fire ants and has about 15 bites on his butt though.

I drove out to the pup’s owner. He led me to the back of his poverty stricken yard (which I’d seen before), and untied another pitbull male on a chain. It was black and had many wounds from living a hard life, and a goopy eye. In another yard, he had 2 more pit bulls chained and 2 more in boxes. One in a box was a beautiful pregnant chocolate pitbull. They were all adults.

I know the guy is trying. He’s getting them vaccinated, he does take them to the vet, and he feeds them Science Diet. Everyone has to start somewhere, and no one’s standards are the same.

(I’ve even been berated by classmates for leaving my dogs in my un-air-conditioned apartment. The heat here might be different from those northern states, but sure doesn’t compare to a Texas summer. I think the temperature in my basement apartment is ideal, sometimes too cool which makes me break the heater out. I’m still the only one on island with a heater.)

I scolded the owner for not having a water and food bowl set up. He has his wife bring a bowl of water for the pup. Then the guy put him in a wooden box in the yard with no window. That’s where my poor little pup will grow up, and when he’s large enough, he’ll be chained to a tree until death finds him.

It really makes me sick, but I upheld my end of the bargain (to return a healthy pup) and ensured that Ross vet students would have a good reputation. I don’t know what’s ethical or not, but at least the pup won’t be fought. (I have a good evil eye and a threatening voice.) It’s really heart breaking to know that he won’t be alright from today on.

1 comment:

Karla Turbyfill said...

The guy called me! Pup doing good so far! :) (I'm glad this owner cares!)