Monday, December 1, 2008

Internet Woes

My DSL modem has died. Sad sad... but is it good luck or bad luck?

The modem had been patchy since I moved into my apartment 16 months ago. The service would fade in and out, and I'd constantly be resetting it. I think it was old.

The oh so fun power outages that we've been having shouldn't have affected it since I was sure to plug it into a surge protector. My really awesome massage chair thingy died that way-- being plugged directly into the wall. That was really sad! It was a comfy chair, but I used it for my feet more than my back. I got 6 months out of it, and it was free, so I can't complain.

Anyway, the modem was plugged into a surge protector, so it wasn't that. Then the service provider guy seemed to think it was lightening through the phone line. I suppose that's possible, however improbable. I guess anything is possible here though.

I actually went in to town, modem in hand. A cruise ship was in town, so I had to drive around and around to find a parking spot. Then the streets were covered in ultra pale tourists migrating to the slums of downtown. Not smart. I ignored, after all, it was mid afternoon.

I walked into Cable & Wireless and though, just perhaps, I could just ask for a new one, or at least see if they could fix mine. For some reason, that was way too complicated. I was basically presented with three options:

1. Buy a new modem for $250EC ($93USD).
2. Make an appointment with the repair techs to come out and "re-program" my modem and check my phone line.
3. Cancel my service. (Keeping customers isn't a main priority here.)

Having never got one from Cable & Wireless when I started my service 16 months ago, I refused to buy a new modem, when I should have gotten one for free. (Everyone else got one for free.)

The guy convinced me to to have the DSL tech come out to the house. I told him about my upcoming exams (actually it was Tox), and he said he could have someone out tomorrow. "Super!" I thought. When would I be available? "After NOON, 12 NOON... not afternoon."

They called me at 9:45ish the next day to set up an appointment. I was in class. My phone rang. Embarrassing. I returned their call during my next break, and was told they would be at my house at 4pm. "Great!" I thought, impressed by the prompt service response.

Well, 4pm came and went. So did 5pm, and 6pm. The next day, they called me at 10:30ish to set up an appointment. I was, again, in class. I did tell them I had class until NOON, then would be available after 12 NOON. They said, "Great! We'll meet you at 11:30am." I paused for a second, thinking they be daft, and again explained that I'm in class until 12 NOON.

Somehow they still did not grasp this concept, but eventually I convinced them to meet me at 12 NOON rather than 11:30am. Then they said, "Great! We'll call you at 11:30am for directions." Wanting to shake them, I again explained that I would be in class, therefore I will be unable to answer my phone. Perhaps, while they had me on the line, and it was 11am, they should get the directions now. This again, had to be explained twice... and then I gave them directions.

At noon, I rushed to my car to beat the DSL tech to my house. At 5 minutes past, I was early. Noon thirty came and went. So did 1pm and 2pm. Eventually the DSL tech came, speeding down my street. Rudder and Salty came at him from either side. I think they've perfected the attacking locals guard dog part. I put them in the yard and showed the guy in.

He looked at my modem and said, "there should be 4 lights on." Duh. He plugged a new modem in, and all worked just fine, so he confirmed that my modem was indeed junk. Great. He also noted that I had a very old modem (several years), and that they stopped using that model because of this very problem, that i was lucky to get as long as I did out of it. I have to say that he was quite nice.

He offered to leave me a new modem, but he cautioned that I might be charged the $250EC. I declined and informed him that I would be canceling my services. Then he left.

Meanwhile, I've had my wireless adapter plugged into Jossie's cable internet modem. Would you believe it's actually faster than the DSL? I didn't realise, but it's also much cheaper. I was paying Cable & Wireless $125EC/mo, and she was paying The Cable company $100EC/mo. So from now on, I'll pay her $50EC/mo... $450EC total from now until I depart in August. That will save me $675EC ($250USD). So, I must ask again, was it good luck or bad luck!?

No comments: