Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Oklahoma

I liken Oklahoma to Canada: far up there and pretty darn cold!

As I drove (the speed limit) north I kept watch for the Red River to signal my enterance into the state, but somehow missed it!? How? I have no idea! I figured out I was in OK by the cop cars lining the highway ticketing speeders. Glad I was going to speed limit... although it's nothing for my mother's Cadalliac to go 80 mph.

I stopped somewhere north of the cacinos and south of Oklahoma City to grab a bite to eat. It was the first signs of civalized life (city rather than miles of rolling hills) and near a mall. I got side tracked trying to find Xmas presents, which was both fun and relaxing. Then (when fully awake after a jolt of coffee), I continued on to Peter's.

Stillwater was nice. I think I went through 4 traffic lights before I hit plains again, but they have a Super Walmart! Walmart was very exciting. I got guinea pig food, make up stuff, and bubble gum mouth wash. When Peter recovered from his shift, he took me for a tour of the town and the school. It was very odd to see "Aggies" in burnt orange. I can't say that if I went to OSU that I could wear burnt orange or support their football team. (Especially when the Aggies beat the hell outta OSU! Whoop!)

The vet school was very large animal oriented, which I consider a positive. That, and they had a CAMEL! Sooo cool. Actually, the camel was in for some problem, and was knocked out cold, strapped to a table, inserted into a CT machine. Very cool.

Everyone was super friendly and nice too! Several students gave me contact info so I could find a place there to keep my ponies close to the school. I consider that a major positive point, plus their rents were all quite cheap. I felt good about checking out OSU before I make a decision on my clinical placement in May. Hopefully my grades are good enough to get my top choice wherever I decide to go.

No comments: