Sunday, September 30, 2007

3 Rum Punches and a Margarita Machine

I went to a 7th semester sale yesterday. Got a horse bucket ($26), some mats ($5ea), throws to cover the couch ($5ea), a sewing kit ($5), a batik thing ($10), a hamper ($5), some food ($1ea), a bird cage ($15), and THE MARGARATOR ($130). Actually it gets better. So I'm at the sale and I was like, don't need a margarita machine so I kept passing it, although I talked to the girl and picked it up several times and really wanted it. So I'm walking and shopping and chatting with lots of people I know. I walk over to some locals selling plants.

I was quite enticed by a neat light pink plant called the Devil's Backbone. Stunning. Really stunning. Might be my most favorite plant now (ofcourse with Star Gazer Lillies my favorite flower... ahem, hint hint). Any who, it started to rain as it typically does on tropical islands. Everyone scattered like rats (which reminds me of another story) and I lost the margarita machine. Sadness.

To make up for the sadness, I was going to meet my friends at the beach to go swimming. Water was so nice, but cloudy. I swam out a little way then tried to stand up. PANIC PANIC PANIC! The water was cloudy and I couldn't touch the bottom and there are THINGS in the water like sharks and sting rays and killer turtles and sharks and sea urchins and sting rays and barracuda and sharks and giant killer groupers and monster jelly fish and giant sting rays and did I mention sharks!?

Ok, so I'm a weenie that can't swim, so what? It's not a crime. Keeps me from drowning or being eaten by Tiger sharks or Bull sharks or Whitetipped sharks or Lemon sharks. Now I feel nauseous. Why do I even go in the water?

So anyway, I clammer up on to shore, with a friend following me trying to figure out why I didn't want to swim anymore. Should never have watched Jaws as a kid. I decide to go to Ziggy's and have a much needed piña colada.

Power outage. No power means no frozen drinks means no piña colada. Hm what to get? RUM PUNCH! For those of you who haven't seen how freely the Kittitian liquor flows, oh watch out. To get a picture, when my dad took me to visit Ross for the first time, I had 2 rum punches complimentary from the hotel. I did not remember dinner and was in bed by 7:30pm. So I get a rum punch while I wait for my friends.

It was so good! I had another. THEN the girl that was selling the margarita machine shows up. The 3 other people (other Ross students) at the bar became my good buddies. I offered $100EC for the margarita machine (~$40US). She calls her friend who owns it. All I have is $100 on me. She says her friend says a firm $130EC ($50US). Bummer. Now VERY VERY SAD. I get another rum punch. Yum yum.

My friends have never seen me drink. I don't drink. I'm giggly. Very giggly. They loan me the $30EC and I get the way cool margarita machine! Three rum punches might have been too many. Friends now want to go to Marriott beach and swim in cleaner water. Oh did I mention they ate breakfast while I was sipping on my rum punches? Yea, it was a bit early in the day, BUT the bar was open!

We go to the Marriott beach. I was forced since I didn't drive. At this point I'm ready to crawl in the sand and snooze away. World is definitely spinning on its axis. It's neat how you can see the world spin with a few rum punches. It goes wee-wee-wee around and around. I don't know if I lost my glasses or if I just can't focus. Everything (even my hands) was quite fuzzy. Ok, out for a swim at the Marriott. World spinning in circles PLUS the ocean rising and falling does not do an empty stomach much good. I puked this really pretty salmon pink in the water. Friends don't realize and don't want to leave me behind. Did I mention that they had a few beers and obviously can drink way more than me?

I swim out a little further. Swallow a little salt water. Puke more. Do the same turn around and splash my way back to the beach. Drag myself on shore. Lay there for a while. Eventually made it to a beach chair. Took a nap. Friends got me food and when I was a little livelier, took me home. Blah. Sure was fun though.

Now I have more friends txting me. No one can picture me and alcohol. They think I'm so old and boring. Hehehe. It's sad, but I probably pretty boring. Maybe sometime soon I'll get to use my new margarita machine.

Hm, comparing prices and I think I got a good deal for $50US. It's $80US at Walmart, $90US on sale somewhere else, and $90US on Amazon.com. That doesn't even include what international shipping and import taxes would be. And it plugs into the wall and has an adapter for the car. Gotta love vet school.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do they have AA meetings on St. Kitt's? You ought to consider giving up vet school to go into show business. You could become the next Britney Spears! ;-)

E.

Karla Turbyfill said...

LOL, I’d have to gain some weight and become a ho to be like her!