Saturday, August 4, 2007

Different Nerves

I had a conversation earlier with one of my best classmates about nerves. If you didn't know, nerves are my favorite. They are so pretty and delicate and just flow and it makes sense (yet no one else in class seems to get them).

Anyway, I was reading my Miller's textbook and theorized some very interesting things from the dog, applied to people. I'm not going to bore you because, yes, we all know I'm weird. So she said her nerves don't sense that way, that the 2 nerves [in pelvic limb] acted differently and she couldn't tell that two branches off these main nerves dually or cross innervated the various locations we were discussing.

In several studies these nerves (femoral and isciatic nn.) have the possibility of originating from L4-L6 and L6-S1 respectively [in the dog]. Usually the more cranial (femoral) nerve originates in L4 and L5 and not L6 but in some dogs it also originates in L6. We decided that my nerves share a lumbar origin and hers do not. Quite interesting, no? I will have to look this up in people and figure it out for sure...

It appears that in people, the femoral nerve originates at L2-L4 and the sciatic nerve originates in L4-S1... I do believe my theory is correct. Makes so much sense. Wow, the things you learn.

No comments: