Saturday, August 25, 2007

Koi Pond minus the Koi

Koi pond looks great! I have plants and clean water and a filter, but the Koi ... jumped out sometime today. None of the other fish did, so this is sorta a bummer. He was really pretty- mostly white with a few black and red spots.

Did I mention how I estimated the proper measurements for the tub? I measured the diameter
of the tub and divided by to to get the radius (r= 11.38 in). Area of a circle is πr^2, so then I calculated the area (A= 406 in^2).

Next I measured the height of the tub (h= 15 in), and the calculated the volume as Ah (V= 6094 in^3).


One gallon of water takes up (given) 231 in^3 and weighs 8.33 lbs. Therefore the tub can hold a maximum of 26.38 gallons of water which weighs a hair less than 210 lbs.

To complicate matters, proper pump flow should filter or exchange the entire volume of water 4X per hour to keep the tank clean, but not faster or it will wear the fish out. That means I needed a pump that would move ~100 gallons of water per hour, which I had shipped to me.

In other news, I baked at the Marriott the other day and look absolutely fabulous. I am so tan, so to illustrate, I put on a whit shirt so you can see the contrast. Picts of my apt will come later after I clean!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So apparently you did learn something in physics. I guess you weren't just doing crossword puzzles afterall!

E.