Monday, August 13, 2007

Distracted

I decided the other week that after finals, I was going to create a koi pond in my apartment. (I can see Nora saying ‘Karla!’) So koi grow like huge, and in 2 years I move off the rock, so what to do with 3 fingerling koi when I move and they are big? They are now officially approved to join the other campus koi in the Toxic Plant Garden! So I feel better about getting them now.

Went to IGA and Ram’s (grocery stores) today to stock up on canned goods and water for the impending doom that might hit us over the weekend. IGA has IGA green beans on sale—half off! Too bad they’re laced with botulism! But no big deal, let’s sell them anyway, right? Swell. Yea, glad campus sent us an email on that one otherwise I’d be sick with yet another jungle/tropical/exotic/Caribbean/misc fever (cuz I like green beans).

Today was the Histo final. Don't feel so good about it, but oh well I can live with a B if I have to. Tomorrow is the Nutrition final. Should be fine… but my prof caught me not studying with the Toxic Plant Garden prof. There are a lot of really great profs here with so many interests and such a desire to teach. Combined with the weather, I'm perfectly content... well...

Weather related, a tropical storm off the African coast looks like it's turning into a hurricane. Time to batten down the hatches! This is so just my luck. No one here really thinks it will hit us, BUT they haven't known me long enough- if it's at all possible to go wrong, it will. So I bought more matches, candles, canned food, and 9 more jugs of 5L drinking water. Yea, who will be the over prepared little girl scout? That's right- Me. Let them laugh, I don't care.

Here are picts. It's on the bottom right. Just swell. It does look very hurricane-ish in the loops, so you should go check them out if you're interested. (And in case you weren't sure, because I got this question earlier today, St. Kitts is on the Atlantic side, and not near Hawaii which is in the Pacific and on the other side of the world. Thanks for playing, try again.)

2 comments:

matt said...

Ok I had no idea what a koi was. Now I wish I had a pet in college. I think you should go through with it. You can always have sushi after graduation.
www.mattmadeit.blogspot.com

Karla Turbyfill said...

LOL, I didn't just have ‘a pet’ in college. The Sabre Stables link on the left has picts of some (not all) of my various horses and things. And, no that’s not my parent’s house. Before I came here, I divided the animals between a few good friends.

Koi are pretty much BIG, fast growing, smart goldfish. They can grow an inch a month until they are ~3 feet long. They differ from goldfish in many ways, but the easiest way to explain it is that koi have mouths that point downward (to gravel) with little ‘whiskers’ and goldfish have mouths that point upward (to surface).

Female koi are typically larger and friendlier than the more streamlined males. Female koi also are supposed to have semi translucent fins, while male koi have opaque angular fins. I think the pond on campus only has male koi, but he did try to add both sexes. I intend on only getting females, but who knows if that will work out.

Koi are as friendly and trainable as dogs, seriously! If you met one, you’d feel bad to eat it, but that’s what they were originally bred for. If you get one, make sure you are prepared to put it somewhere (other than a public lake) when it gets big. Mine go in my acre sized private pond in Texas.

Saw your blog, and thanks for commenting! It’s nice to see where people that visit are from!