Tuesday, August 14, 2007

They laughed at Chicken Little too.

So what do ya know, there really might be a storm in the Atlantic. Oh did my friends and professors tease me after I sent out the text message that said the sky was falling, on possibly Friday, the last day of our exams. Looks like a hurricane to me. I might be Chicken Little, but I have tons of clean water!

Ok, to be less melodramatic, Ross finally sent an email out stating: "Tropical Depression # 4 is nearing the Lesser Antilles. See news blurbs below. Storm Tracking models have TD4 heading west toward the Lesser Antilles but have its course passing north of St Kitts and Nevis around this weekend. We will keep you updated as more information becomes available. Please take this opportunity to go through your hurricane preparedness checklist to make sure you are fully stocked with supplies."

My sources say, "TD #4 is now Tropical Storm Dean and is making its way towards the Caribbean islands. It is expected to become a hurricane and potentially affect portions of the Caribbean islands towards the end of the week..." Like I said earlier, swell.

So now my friends believe me. Only problem is that they're psyched! They're looking forward to the possibility of being in 140 mph winds, not having clean water nor electricity, and 2 weeks of looting. They're also waiting until after finals to go to the grocery store (which was running low on supplies yesterday) to get prepared. I am going to continue to be pessimistic since my life tends to be somewhat more exciting than most. I'm sure it will hit, but I will continue to hope it does not.

As you can see with the image below taken from the NOAA Satellite, the scary set of clouds on the bottom right have moved a full square closer to the Caribbean than they were yesterday. If it goes the same square per day speed it will be in the St. Kitts’ square on Saturday evening. So I assume the weather people just count the squares and that's how they came up with the Saturday estimate too.

And because we needed more fun, there's something fierce going on in the Gulf now too. I know these aren't such precise ways to describe the weather, but I tend to feel that divining for weather is an esoteric art best done by someone who is 1) not me, and 2) owns a satellite.

On the positive side, while not studying for Physio, I took a personality test from Rebecca's Blog. Here are my results (although it seems skewed):


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember the map of the path of the hurricane I drew for you in March during SRW? You never listen....:)
E.

Karla Turbyfill said...

I listen, BUT I can blame everything on my short-term memory loss from the horse kicking me in the head! (It's a good excuse I use often.)

Should miss us because of the way the wind forces hurricanes to go sharply upward (north), correct?

I've had really bad luck this year. I'm not taking ANY chances. You think I'm crazy don't you? I might be... that and sleep deprived. Love vet school though.

Anonymous said...

Of course, I think you're crazy. Actually, it's one of the reasons I like you so much.

Hurricanes always seem to veer away from where you think they're going to go. However, you never know. Better to be safe than sorry.

E.

Anonymous said...

Here's a computer model for the track of the storm:

http://weather.chron.com/auto/chron/tropical/tracking/at200704_model.html

It does look like it may hit St. Kitt's and then continue on to Texas. We're having our own tropical storm right now, by the way.